This Is The Ultimate Health & Fitness Retreat To Try In 2018
With more of us wanting to adopt healthier lifestyles that result in better mental and physical states, we've seen a huge rise in health and fitness retreats. But with so many different retreats on the market, it can be tricky to know which ones are actually worthwhile.
But don't fret, because Grazia has found one that is truly incredible. The luxury Peak Health retreat in Switzerland will offer you the chance to embark on a journey of personalised wellness, allowing you to transform your life in a positive, holistic way.
During your stay, you'll be guided by a team of leading global wellness experts, who will help you gain a new understanding about your body and its potential. Think you won't ever complete a 10km hike up a mountain? Or climb a glacier? Or really push yourself mentally and physically? Think again.
So, if you're after a truly life-changing experience to help reset your health, read on for the full low-down on our favourite fitness retreat.
Where's the Peak Health retreat?
Considering that health and wellbeing are a huge focus in Switzerland, it's no surprise that the Peak Health retreat is situated in the beautiful village of Saas-Fee, with it's snow-frosted peaks, pristine valleys, and wide-open skies. The mindful experience and unique fitness programme that Peak Health offers is made all the more special thanks to the breathtaking setting, which will really help you relax, recharge, and reconnect with nature.
When you aren't embarking on mountain and glacier hikes, you can chill out in The Capra - the luxury 5-star alpine hotel who have partnered with Peak Health. Here, you can enjoy treatments like massages and facials in the idyllic spa.
Or, you can relax in the hydrotherapy pool, steam and sauna rooms, or utilise the state-of-the-art gym facilities. The slick gym is also where your one-to-one personal training sessions will take place - so it's worthwhile having a little look around pre-workout!
Oh! And we can confirm that the food - curated by nutritional experts and made using local produce - is to die for. Examples of dishes you'll get to sample include: delicious broccoli and pistachio soup, red snapper with chickpeas and tuna steak with pak choi and grapefruit.
What can I expect to do on the retreat?
On the retreat, you'll take part in a number of unique experiences, from hiking in the mountains to personal training classes. As a taster, a signature ‘Transformation Week’ retreat includes:
• All inclusive stay at Capra’s luxury resort in a spacious signature suite.
• Pre-retreat health, nutrition and lifestyle assessments.
• Stunning morning hikes with local tour guides through the Swiss alps, that increase in length and difficulty in the summer, and skiing or winter trekking in the winter. There are 13 peaks over 4,000 metres high surrounding the Saas-Fee village, so mountain hiking is integrated into the training sessions.
• Three training sessions per day; including a mix of personal and group training.
• Two 60 minute spa treatments to relieve aching muscles and help you unwind.
• Unlimited access to the spa, steam room and sauna with a hydro massage plunge pool.
• One to one sessions with the Wellness Advisors to help you integrate the Peak Health experience into your life.
• Inspirational and informative mindfulness and wellbeing sessions each evening, with talks on topics such as gut health, fertility for women, and sleep.
• Food preparation courses (optional) are on offer with a nutritionist and chef.
• A tasty Peak Health Menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
• A Peak Health Sleep Improvement kit with all the tools needed to continue the lifestyle changes at home.
What's Grazia's insider tip?
In your down-time, we recommend you explore the picturesque village of Saas-Fee. There, you'll find cute souvenir shops selling traditional gifts and home-made desserts. A number of rustic chalet-style restaurants and bars are also just a stone's throw away.
Or, if you prefer to stay indoors, you'll be pleased to know that the hotel has a slick games room with a huge TV and selection of films -perfect for a chilled night in with friends or fellow retreaters.
And here's a bit of practical advice: if you're planning on attending the winter retreat, remember to invest in some thermal clothing, because it can get quite chilly in the mountains. A waterproof mac and hiking boots are also highly recommended for use during your altitude climbs.